Now i’ve got a fully functioning kitchen again i’ve really gotten back into my baking at the weekend (and a few late night evening sessions!) so i thought i’d share one of my favourite recipes with you today – The Perfect Iced Lemon Traybake!
The recipe is from Mary Berry’s Baking Bible and is spot on, but i like to change up the method a little to ensure a perfectly moist and well risen cake every single time.
The Perfect Iced Lemon Traybake
225g Softened Butter
225g Caster Sugar
275g Self-Raising Flour
2 Level Teaspoons of Baking Powder
2 Grated lemons
4 Large Eggs
4 Tablespoons of Milk
1. Grease and line a 12 x 9inch baking tray and heat your oven to 160 oC.
2. Mix together the butter, baking powder, sugar, milk, lemon zest in a large bowl.
3. Whisk your eggs until they’re full of air bubbles in a separate bowl and gently fold them into your mixture.
4. Using a butter knife fold in the flour to your mixture very carefully and pour your mixture into the prepared tin.
5. Level the top and bake for 35 minutes.
Your cake is done when it begins to shrink from the sides and springs back when pressed in the middle. Stick a toothpick or a knife in the middle and when it comes out clean you’re good to go!
For The Icing:
I never measure mine, but simply mix icing sugar with the juice of your lemons until you get a slightly runny consistency. Spread over the top of your cooled cake and top with more lemon zest to make it look pretty. Cut your Iced Lemon Traybake into squares with a sharp knife and serve with a warm cup of Earl Grey in a nice china mug!
This recipe never fails to impress and with my alternative method it’s guaranteed to come out beautifully moist and standing tall. It’s super quick to whip up and takes no time at all to finish, perfect for when you have someone popping round for tea at the last minute…or if you just fancy a little lemony treat after dinner!
Tweet me @xameliax if you give this quintessentially British bake a go! #icedlemoncake