With the big day just around the corner our house is filled with festive treats and a good few bottles of naughty booze too! But although you can buy just about anything you want to eat at Christmas time there’s nothing better than a batch of warm homemade mince pies. This year I decided to add a little something extra into mine with a frangipane topping – a la one of my favourite cakes, The Bakewell Tart! With good quality boozy mincemeat and sweet thin pastry made by your own fair hands you won’t go wrong with a dozen of these delicious little tarts this festive season!
- 175g plain flour
- 75g butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 25g icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 100g butter, softened
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1⁄2 tsp almond extract
1 Jar of luxury mincemeat
(makes about 10-12 Mincewell Tarts!)
- Pre-heat your oven to 200oC or Gas mark 6 and place a muffin tray in there to heat up
- Make your pastry by rubbing the cold butter into your flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, add the icing sugar and egg and beat until you get a workable dough.
- Knead your dough slightly, wrap it in cling film and pop it in the fridge while you make your frangipane filling
- Beat the butter, caster sugar ground almonds, flour, almond extract and eggs together in a deep bowl scraping down the sides as you go and set aside
- Roll out your pastry to 2mm thick and cut out your pies using a scalloped edge cutter as big as you like – I find mine shrinks a little so I cut them pretty big so they come up to the top of my tin
- Spoon one-two teaspoons of luxury mincemeat into your cases and top with a teaspoon of frangipane
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until your tarts are beautifully golden
I used a small Christmas tree cookie cutter covered with foil to make a little stencil and sprinkled my pies with icing sugar just to finish them off and I think they look good enough to eat. Serve with a dollop of heavy cream mixed with a spoon of brandy for an extra boozy treat or enjoy them on their own with a big gingerbread latte!
Watch My Super Simple Tutorial
Don’t forget to tweet me a picture @xameliax if you give my Bakewell Mince Pies a go! #mincewelltarts