There are two things i love in the food world and that’s cocktails and cakes, so for National Strawberry Day (yes apparently this exists!) i’ve teamed up with Malibu Rum* to combine the two in my Strawberry Daiquiri Cupcakes!
Traditional Daiquiri Cupcakes are made with light rum, but we’re using Malibu which is a coconut flavoured rum that gives me flashbacks to being 19 and goes extremely well with lime inside these strawberry cupcakes! I’ve adapted my recipe from a number of others out there to create the perfect boozy cake with just enough of a kick to keep you coming back for more. So pour yourself a (Virgin)Cuba Libre and let’s get baking – don’t drink and bake kids!
(Makes 6 large cupcakes)
120g Plain Flour
150g Fresh Strawberries
140g Golden Caster Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Boozy Buttercream:
250g Icing Sugar
4 tsp Malibu
Juice of Half a Lime
– Preheat your oven to around 180oC (Gas mark 4) depending on your oven and place 6 muffin cases into a cupcake tin
– Chop up your strawberries into tiny pieces saving some for decoration. Chop them as small as possible and pat dry with kitchen roll, too much moisture from these will make our batter soggy
– Combine your butter, flour, sugar and baking powder together with an electric whisk until ‘crumby’!
– Add in your egg, milk and vanilla extract until combined
– Grate the zest of your lime into the mixture (saving a little part to grate over the top for decoration) and fold in your chopped strawberries
– Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden brown, you should be able to stick a knife in your cake and it come out clean
– Take out of the oven and leave on a wire rack to cool
– While cooling make your buttercream by combining the butter and icing sugar and whisking in your Malibu and lime until it’s at a pipe-able consistency and tastes yummy!
– Using your nozzle of choice (mine was a No4 Flower nozzle) pipe your butter cream onto the cooled cupcakes and garnish with strawberry pieces and zesty lime!
Don’t forget to tweet me a picture @xameliax if you give my Strawberry Daiquiri Cupcakes a go! #strawberrydaiquiricakes