I love Lemon Meringue! Anything with sharp citrus flavours and a sweet edge is good for me and when I saw these Lemon Meringue Cupcakes I knew I had to give them a go. I originally saw them years ago on a tv programme called Baking Mad and it’s been one of those recipes that hangs around in the depths of your mind for ages until one Sunday you find yourself raiding the cupboards for a jar of lemon curd and giving them a go!
I changed the original recipe slightly which makes them a little easier to bake and devised my own meringue topping which is better for piping, so if you’re into a fresh tasting cupcake with a gooey lemon curd surprise centre then whisks at the ready, let’s bake!
What You’ll Need
For the Cupcakes (makes 6 large cupcakes):
100g Caster Sugar
100g Self Raising Flour
1 Lemon Zest
1tsp Vanilla Extract
Good Quality Lemon Curd
For the Meringue Topping:
100g Caster Sugar
– Preheat your oven to 180oC/ Gas Mark 4 and line a muffin tin with 6 cases
– Beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and eggs
– Fold in your flour with a wooden spoon
– Spoon a tablespoon of batter into each of your cupcake cases followed by a teaspoon of lemon curd
– Top with another spoon of batter and bake for 15-20 minutes until the sponge has risen, looks golden and bounces back when pressed
– While your cupcakes are baking, whip up a meringue for the topping: separate two eggs carefully insuring no yolk or fat leaks into the whites
– Whisk your egg whites until they form soft peaks and continue to beat adding the sugar one tablespoon at a time until your meringue is stiff and glossy
– Once your cupcakes are cool pop the meringue into a piping bag and pipe a generous amount on top of each cupcake and bake in the oven for an extra 10 minutes until the meringue starts to turn brown
These little cupcake desserts are perfect to sit on the top tier of a homemade Afternoon Tea or to enjoy at any time with a hot cup of Earl Grey tea. They’re one of my favourite cupcakes to bake and they look so pretty with their big meringue swirl on top!
Why not give my Lemon Meringue Cupcakes a go?!
Tweet me a picture @xameliax if you try them out! #lemonmeringuecupcakes