I’m a huge Irish coffee fan whenever i’m out for a nice meal, finishing off your food with a warm boozy creamy coffee is just the best! But what happens if you’re out with friends for food before hitting the town and the thought of a comforting, warm, ’rounding off the night’ tipple makes you feel more like pjs than partying? Well here at xameliax we’re always experimenting with new concoctions from the home liquor cabinet just for you and we’ve found the perfect solution to this vexing dilemma – The Espresso Martini! Here’s my espresso martini recipe – perfect for any occasion!
I’ve had a few of these bad boys in various bars and i find a lot of them are far too dark and bitter for my liking – i’m looking for a smooth and creamy coffee hit not an angry shot of pure caffeine, this ‘aint no Starbucks honey. I was in Tesco the other week strolling past the spirit section and found a bottle of Smirnoff Espresso Vodka on offer for a tenner shouting at me to put him in my basket and start mixing. Not one to ignore the imaginary mutterings of supermarket spirits i took a bottle home with me and whipped up this super simple recipe perfect for any boozy coffee fan!
What You’ll Need
1 Fresh Espresso Shot (I used freshly ground Costa coffee beans)
1 Shot Smirnoff Espresso Vodka
1 Shot Baileys
10ml (approx half a shot) Honey
How To – Espresso Martini Recipe
– Chill your favourite martini glass with ice
– Make your espresso coffee (If you don’t have an espresso maker you can use two teaspoons of instant coffee in hot water but fresh is best!)
– Pour the Espresso Vodka, Baileys and Honey into a shaker jam packed full of ice (a little more than usual)
– Add in your Espresso Shot and sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-shake it until your shaker feels super chilly and the coffee is no longer warm
– Strain over your chilled martini glass making sure you shake out all that creamy froth for the top
– Garnish with some whole coffee beans and enjoy!
The result is smooth and strong with a good whack of real coffee flavour followed up with that delicious creamy Bailey’s and honey sweetness – perfect. This is the ideal cocktail for after a dinner party as something a bit different to the usual round of coffees and mints, or even if you feel like a tipple to keep you alert on your night out that doesn’t involve dropping some kind of sticky shot into a luminous energy drink!
So that’s my espresso martini recipe – let me know if you’ve tried it in the comments!