I love Halloween – all the cute pumpkins, dressing up, creating spooky cocktails and cakes to indulge in at the weekends – it’s awesome! I always paint my nails for the occasion but this year I decided to go down the more subtle route instead of sporting bright orange and green for all to see! Sometimes you want to join in the holiday spirit but still want to be able to be professional at work or have a set of pointers that doesn’t clash with every outfit! So I’ve put together a halloween nail tutorial for this subtle halloween set so you can have a bit of spooktacular spirit whilst still looking stylish!
What I Used
Base Coat (I use Duri Rejuvacote)
Barry M Black Current Midnight Gelly
Essie Penny Talk
Barry M Fashion Icon
Mini Bow Shaped Gems (from ebay)
Topcoat (I use Seche Vite)
1. Prep your nails by filing, pushing back cuticles, buffing and wiping with nail polish remover before applying your base coat. I’ve got a great tutorial on how to prep your nails right here which will help your manicure last for up to a week!
2. Paint nails with Barry M Blackcurrant Midnight Gelly and let dry before applying a second coat.
3. Once your base colour is dry stamp on your design using a Konad Stamper, your Bundle Monster plate and Essie’s Penny Talk.
4. Paint your first finger with Barry M Fashion Icon all over the nail and paint an ombre effect with this polish from the cuticle up on your middle and little finger. To do this paint the curve of your cuticle, wipe any excess polish off the brush and drag the cuticle polish up towards the tip of your nail
5. Using stripping tape create 4 stripes on your thumb and paint alternately with Penny Talk and Fashion Icon. Peel off your striping tape before this polish dries to get clean crisp lines.
6. Using a clear polish stick on your bow to the corner of your thumb and paint over the fashion icon glitter on each nail.
7. Sprinkle your loose glitter over the clear polish to mix in with the purple and finish with a generous layer of top coat
And that’s it – spooky but subtle Halloween nails perfect for the big day! I love the look of the purple glitter mixed with the bronze and penny talk over Barry M’s new vampy Halloween shade is a match made in heaven! Play around with the colours you’ve got in your collection and see what you can create – any shade from Barry M’s Halloween Gelly collection would be perfect for this look – maybe try the green with a gold stamp and some rose gold glitter!
Don’t forget to tweet me a picture @xameliax if you give these nails a go! #subtlespooky