I don’t know about you, but every Christmas we always seem to have loads of food left over from the big day and there’s only so many cold turkey sandwiches one can face in the wake of the festive season! Inspired by Gregg (the king of high-street pastie making) i’ve created a Festive Bake using all the leftovers from your Christmas Dinner that can be whipped up in less than half an hour – sprouts and all!
What You’ll Need
(Makes 5 large pasties)
1 pack of ready roll puff pastry (or handmade if you have the time!)
Leftover Veggies ( Brussel sprouts, peas, parsnips, carrots)
Leftover Pigs in Blankets
Leftover Stuffing (optional)
3-4 large Sage Leaves
250ml of Double Cream
¾ Chicken Stock Cube
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
1 Egg (for glazing)
Salt & Pepper to taste
– Pre-heat your oven to 220oC/Gas Mark 7 and chop up your turkey, veggies, stuffng, sausages and sage into small pieces.
– For the sauce: melt the butter, stock cube and flour over a gentle heat and carefully add the cream avoiding boiling and splitting the sauce.
– Stir your turkey, vegetables, stuffing, sausages and sage into the sauce, salt and pepper to taste and allow to cool.
– In the meantime roll out your pastry thinly (around 3mm deep) and cut out 5 rounds for your pasties. I cut round a bowl for mine and found them the perfect size – depending on your leftovers you might have enough filling for another batch…roll out another pack of pastry and keep baking!
– Spoon out your mixture into the middle of your pastry circles leaving a cm or so gap of pastry once folded over. Brush the top edge of pastry with your egg glaze and crimp away!
– Glaze the rest of the pasties with egg and bake for 20-25 minutes on a baking tray until golden brown!
Remember not to overfill your pasties or they won’t seal properly and will pop out of their pastry blankets in the oven. Make sure to crimp the edges of your pastry tightly and glaze with egg to help keep them together – you can even try cutting smaller circles for bite sized pasties, perfect for parties!
You can make these pasties with any roast dinner leftovers you have, and they can be eaten hot or cold once baked. They make great lunchbox fillers but we love them best when they’re fresh from the oven – yum yum!
Don’t forget to tweet me a picture @xameliax if you try out my festive pasties! #festivebake