This was my first time using coffee in a cake as I’m one of those strange people who loves a good cup of coffee but hates anything coffee flavoured so I was a little dubious, but these Hazelnut Latte Cupcakes worked an absolute treat and went down really well with everyone! So if you’re a coffee monster who also loves their cake, these are the cupcakes for you!
(makes around 12 large cupcakes)
200g Slightly Salted Butter
200g Self Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
200g Golden Caster Sugar
3 Large Eggs
1tbsp Cold Espresso Coffee (I used costa!)
For The Icing
100g Slighty Salted Butter
200g Icing Sugar
1tbsp Espresso Coffee
Dash Almond Coffee Syrup
1. Pr-heat your oven to 180oC (gas mark 4) and line a muffin tine with your favorite cupcake cases
2. Make your espresso shot and leave to cool
3. Lightly toast your hazelnuts in a dry pan over a medium heat until they turn slightly darker and start to smell amazing! Be careful not to burn them!
4. Pop them into a blender/food processor and blitz them into little pieces! (You can do this with a knife too if you find it easier)
5. Whisk together the butter, sugar and eggs
6. Sift your baking powder and flour before folding into your wet mix
7. Stir in a tbsp of your cooled espresso and fold in the hazelnuts
8. Pop in the oven for around 25-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean – leave to cool on a cooling rack
For The Icing
1. Whisk together the butter and iscing sugar
2. Add in your coffee and almond syrup to taste until you have a pipeable buttercream
3. Decorate your cupcakes with icing (I used a Wilton Number 2 Flower Nozzle) and sprinkle over extra hazelnuts for fanciness!
Not being a lover of coffee cake I was really surprised by these and I found myself tucking into a couple straight from the wrack – they’re so yummy! Powerful enough to give you that hazelnut latte feel but not not too strong that it’s all you can taste. They went down a storm and i’ll definitely be making them again. They’d be perfect for a girly coffee date at home or as a little dessert at a dinner party – you could even try adding a tsp of cocoa powder to the icing to turn them mocha! Enjoy!
Are you a coffee cake fan? If you could turn any drink into a cupcake, what would it be?
Don’t forget to tweet me a picture @xameliax if you give my recipe a go! #hazelnutelattecake