Christmas brings with it the best of foods from your turkey dinners to those moreish cheeseboards and even a few cheeky mince pies – don’t forget to check out my Bakewell Mince Pie Recipe! But you can’t beat a good old traditional Gingerbread Man with a cup of tea on a winters day by the tree to make you feel all festive so that’s exactly what we’re making today! Get your cookie cutter and gum drop buttons at the ready because you’re going to want to make these Fiery Gingerbread Men again and again!
What You’ll Need
100g Caster Sugar
3 Tbsp Black treacle
3 Tbsp Golden Syrup
1 Egg Yolk (Medium)
250g Plain Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Bicarb of Soda
2.5-3 tsp Ground Ginger
2 tsp Nutmeg
Royal Icing for decoration
…and your Gingerbread Man Cookie Cutter!
1. Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
2. Stir in your golden syrup, treacle and egg yolk.
3. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, bicarb,ginger and nutmeg in another bowl and beat into the treacle mixture until combined
4. Cover your dough with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 1 hour
5. Preheat your oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
6. Flour your surface and roll the dough out to ½cm thickness.
7. Using your cutter, cut out your gingerbread men shapes and place onto an un-greased non-stick baking tray
8. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until firm.
9. Allow to cool and decorate with royal icing and jelly tots when done!
The result is a chewy, spicy dark gingerbread biscuit cookie that holds it shape and keeps in a air-tight container for up to two weeks…if they last that long! You can decorate them however you like with different coloured icing and various jellies and edible treats to make each one look different – I used jelly tots for the gumfrop buttons and some dible silver balls for the eyes. They also make great Christmas favours too wrapped up in cellophane and tied with a pretty red and green bow!
Oh So Pinnable!
Have you made Gingerbread this year? Will you be giving these a go?
Leave me a comment below or tweet me @xameliax if you try out my recipe! #gingerbreadmen