There’s nothing worse than having an allergy and watching all your friends tuck into something you’d love to be eating. With my flourless Gluten Free Chocolate Orange Cake everyone can have their cake and eat it too the next time you meet up for a cuppa and a slice of something sweet! Inspired by this taste.com recipe I’ve added an extra chocolatey topping for a bit more luxury!
Gluten Free Dark chocolate (for drizzling!)
(…if your mixture looks like runny scrambled eggs, you’re doing it right!)
1.Preheat your oven to 170oc and line a round cake tin with greaseproof paper
2. Place 2 oranges into a pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes. Drain and repeat.
3. Run over your oranges with cold water and chop (removing seeds) before placing into a blender and blending until smooth.
4. Whisk your eggs and sugar in a bowl and gently fold in the oranges, ground almonds and baking powder before placing into your cake tin
5. Bake for an hour and leave to cool – meanwhile make the syrup
6. Zest the remaining orange and remove the white pith. Chop the zest into thin strips and juice your orange into a measuring jug
7. Boil the rind in water until soft (about 5 minutes) and drain before adding to a pan with the sugar and orange juice. Heat gently for 3 minutes until sugar is dissolved and your syrup is thick
8. Prick the cake and pour HALF of the syrup over letting it sink into the cake – using it all makes it too soggy
9. Melt your chocolate and drizzle over the top to finish.
We enjoyed this cake with a cup of Earl Grey in my gorgeous Denby Lucille Monsoon Gold Afternoon Tea Set* which I cannot get enough of!!! How beautiful is that gold leaf pattern – somehow tea just tastes better out of china cups.
Don’t forget to tweet me a picture or tag me on Instagram @xameliax if you give my GF Chocolate Orange Cake a go! #GForangecake