I don’t know about you but mid-week I don’t have a lot of time for cooking and most of the time I simply can’t be bothered to stand in the kitchen for hours on end playing Nigella. But beans on toast gets boring pretty darn quickly, so here are 5 easy recipes that you can whip up with less than 15 minutes prep time and super easy ingredients!
Foil Herb Salmon
- Sprinkle two fillets of Salmon with dried herbs of your choice – I use garlic pepper – and wrap into little foil parcels being careful to seal all the edges.
- Cook on a baking tray at 200oC for 25 minutes
- Serve with stir fry mixed veg (make a quick sauce with 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1tsp of honey) and microwave quinoa or rice.
Turkey Spaghetti Bolognese
- Chop two carrots into cubes
- Brown turkey mince in pan (optional as it will cook through anyway but I find with a bit of oil it makes it slightly tastier) and add to slow cooker. You can use beef mince instead or even quorn…go nuts.
- Add 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, a frozen chopped onion, the chopped carrots, and a spice mix packet (told you this was lazy!) into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.
- Cook a portion of dried spaghetti, mix into the bolognese and serve with salad.
Easy Green Thai Curry
- Chop one aubergine and two chicken breasts
- Add into slow cooker with 1 crushed vegetable stock cube, 1-2 tbsp Thai Curry Paste and 1 can of coconut milk (full fat or low fat)
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 and serve with microwave Thai Jasmine rice
Slow Cooker Rogan Josh
- Chop two chicken breasts and a green and yellow bell pepper
- Add into your slow cooker with a tin of drained chick peas, 1 tin chopped tomatoes, a rogan josh spice mix and 1 chopped (frozen) onion
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 and serve with microwave basmati or pilau rice
Garlic & Chilli Crab Tagliatelle
- Chop 1 red chilli and 4 cloves of garlic
- Fry with 50g of butter and add 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- Squeeze in half a lemon and add 200ml white wine
- Stir in two tins of crab meat, some fresh parsley and season to taste
- Adjust the levels of butter, creme fraiche, wine and lemon until you get a sauce that suits your taste and toss with fresh tagliatelle to serve.
You can make any of these vegetarian by substituting the meat, choose lower fat options in the coconut milk and creme fraiche, or add extra veggies for more fibre and a shot at that 5-a-day. Give them a go and get creative – and don’t forget you can always freeze half the portion to eat another time!
What are your favourite lazy mid-week meals?